autox-cm

Re: Gearing, again

To: "C Modified" <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearing, again
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:42:01 -0500
All I have is an opinion, no real data to back it up.

When I used the clutch many years ago, the engine RPM would still not be
matched to speed before the clutch was released.  This meant that the gears
were loaded, then completely unloaded, and then shock loaded when the
clutch was released.  I would guess that the backlash in all of the
components would often go from one direction to the other and then back
again.  The backlash in the drive train is considerable and is the very
reason that I slip the clutch at the beginning of launch so it is taken up
gradually.

Also, another opinion, I thing that Red Line shock proof lube helps in our
application.

Greg