Re: Schroth belts

To: Dale Botkin <dale@botkin.org>
Subject: Re: Schroth belts
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:31:18 -0700
Dale Botkin wrote:

> While we're on the topic of harnesses in Stock class, is anyone using a
> Schroth Rallye 4?
>
> Though a bit pricey, this looks like a good solution for me, since it
> beats the stock lap/shoulder belt and does not require any new holes or a
> roll bar.  My question is whether I can retain the stock driver's belt
> with the Schroth harness in place.  I don't want to have to wear a 4-point
> while street driving, and I'd rather not swap out belts for racing.

If that's the inertia reel equipped system, then yes, I have one. I am
currently using it in my Daily driver/snow slogger/grocery getter/ice
racer VW Syncro. I find that they don't hold as well as a true 5pt
harness, but then they were never designed to do so. It does hold me in
the seat better than the stock belt, but not as much as one would
expect. Even with the inertia reel locked, it still doesn't tighten up
as much as I would like. As for daily use? I don't. For alot of the
time, it simply sits under the driver seat, and I pull it out every now
and then or when I autox Der UberWagen. The mounting I used entails
folding down the rear seats anyway, so its not the most convenient
system to use. It's not a big deal to get in and out of though, ALOT
easier than a traditional 5pt or 6pt harness.

The really nice thing about the Schroth is that it did not require the
removal of the stock belts. So I can regularly use the stock belt, and
use the Schroth 4pt only when desired.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/