Re: removeable Rearview

To: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: removeable Rearview
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:17:24 -0600
Joshua Hadler wrote:

>  Certainly the rules imply it's illegal,
> but the nature of the mirror begs the question.

Agreed.  Consider this:

In most cars, you can swivel the mirror about, angling it many
different directions.  Legal, of course.

In some cars, you can swivel all the way up to the roof.
In some cars, you can swivel it such that you only see a thin
line in your view.  Legal, of course.

In some cars, such as the BMWs, if you swivel it a little more
forcefully, the mirror comes off in your hand.

So, I'd argue that it is legal to reposition a mirror in your car
by swiveling it or twisting it as designed by the manufacturer.
Agreed?  And in the case of BMWs, it is designed such that you can
twist it off and toss it in the glove box.  That should be okay.
Just don't remove it from the car, per rule 13.2.A.

I don't think that's too tortured,

Brian