Re: Integra autoXing

To: Team Net <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Integra autoXing
From: "Brian P. Van Lieu" <bvl@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:56:00 -0400

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:24:40 -0500
> From: "Tim Malzahn" <tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com>
> Subject: Re: 99 Integra - Was 93 DSM's
>
> Jarrod,
>
> I also have an Integra GS-R and have been autocrossing it for two seasons.
> Here are a few tips:
>
>  - Expect LOTS of understeer - your main goal in autocrossing the
> Integra is figuring out how to eliminate it.
>
>  - I recommend adjustable shocks for the car - you then need to crank
> the rears all the way up and adjust the fronts to a middle setting. I
> have Tokico Illuminas and I set the fronts at 3 and the rears at

Shocks will help dial it out a bit. I personally run Koni singles. Can't
touch that rear bar in GS (the Type R has a 22mm rear sway vs. the
GS-R 14mm...hmmm, wonder why :)

>  - If you can, get 225's for the front and 205's for the rear. This
> also should help the understeer. (Can anyone else help here? Does this
> really help?)

Integra (now R :) racer in my region ran this setup last year. He was
not sure how much better the 225s were in the front (he ran V700s). He
did need to use a slight spacer to help the fronts not rub on the inside.
Full lock still had a tad of rub, but that is not that bad.

>  - The springs on the Integra are really soft, so expect fairly good
> (bad?) body lean. I had to trim off 2 inches from the front mud flaps

Well...you could just run ST and eliminate the GS-R suspension
short comings :)

> to first whenever you can. Keep it up above 6000 as often as
> possible. This will usually drop your times by a second or more on
> longer courses. Go out and practice downshifting to first over and
> over...

Yes, finding where on courses to downshift to first is hard enough
in most cars. Its quite critical in any car with an NA engine such
as the GS-R.

> I hope this helps. You can also check out www.vtec.net for more Integra stuff.

Server is down...has been for a while.

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:17:04 -0700
> From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
> Subject: RE: 99 Integra - Was 93 DSM's
> > first over and over...
>
> I thought the whole idea of VTEC was to give a broader, flatter torque
> curve?

It is and it does.

> a)  I'm confused?

That's ok :)

> b)  That is the idea, but the Integra VTEC doesn't accomplish it very well?

It does it very well. Understand, however, we are talking a 1.8L NA I-4.
This is no stump-pulling engine to begin with. VTEC in this engine (like the
Civic
Si, NSX, and Prelude, a DOHC flavors) have a very flat torque curve from 3000
RPM to 7500 RPM.

However, power is a derivative of Torque, so peak HP is up around 7600
for these engines, and they are gear so that max acceleration is with redline
shifting.

So, hammering the throttle in 2nd gear humming at 4000 RPM up
a little hill will work...but its far better to drop it to 1st and redline it,
with a quick upshift to 2nd (dropping you to about 5500 RPM).

> c)  It does, but "broad and flat" doesn't mean "lots" so you have to rev it
> anyway?

Lots is just a relative term. Relative to a non-VTEC 1.8l Honda 4, it
makes a bit less torque at lower RPMs (say 102 ft-lbs vs 105) but carries
its effective power curve much longer with a switch over to a more aggressive
cam.

To complicate matters just a tad, the GS-R engine (B18C is its mfg code) uses
a dual intake runner. The secondaries open at exactly 5750 RPM. VTEC cam
crosses over around 4400 RPM (it is dependend upon imput variables at
the ECU). 6000-8000 is where it likes to be.

It is not, nor shall it ever be, the mating of a Vipers low end with the high
end of a Ferrari V8.

- b

--
Brian P. Van Lieu
LU Ultimate Frisbee --- GOHO!    AXP-Phi Mu Chapter