Re: Whats the deal with Sumitomo HTRZs?

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>, "Jeff Blankenship" <jblanken@itds.com>
Subject: Re: Whats the deal with Sumitomo HTRZs?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:31:23 -0400
>As long as we're talking long-shot tires (Toyos), whats the deal with
>Sumitomo HTRZs?  <snip>

I can't speak for the HTRZs, but I run 205/60/13 HTR4s for all my driving -
street, autox, everything in between - and I love 'em!  Granted, part of
that is the size alone - it's an improvement over the stock 185/70/13
bicycle tires on my car.  It's my first set of decent tires - it came with
worn out Michelin all-seasons, one of which spontaneously flatted in my
driveway - and I haven't driven other BMW 320i's with other tires, so my
base of experience is admittedly small.  But when I wear these out I'm
putting another set on.  Among many 320i owners I've talked to, the HTR4 is
THE tire to have.  That's why I got mine, and I see they were right.

Interestingly, I am also unable to find a web site for Sumitomo.  If my info
is correct (and it may not be), Sumitomo is actually owned by Dunlop.  It
may well be an undiscovered source of good rubber.  Interestingly, I am also
unable to find a web site for Sumitomo.  Some of their tires are absolutely
identical to some Dunlops except for the name, and much cheaper as a result.
I certainly can't complain about the price of mine, $44... oops, now $43 a
piece from Tire Rack, including shipping.

    - Justin