Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: autox@autox.team.net (Autosports)
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "K.C. Babb" <karen.c.babb@boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:42:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
>
> The SEB then turned around and blew apart DS by placing the Neon ACR in
> that class. Coincidence or what?

Do you know?  Were you in the meetings?  I didn't think I saw you
there.  Were you on the SCAC at the time?  No, I didn't think so.
The Neons were classed based primarily on typecasting (Chuck, jump
right in if you choose to), otherwise known as the "looks like a duck"
approach.  What was in DS before it got there?  Are its technical
attributes so different?  Do they really look more like those of a
CS car, based on what was in CS at that time?  Hmmm.

> while the 944S and 924 Turbo are in ASP. There are some marques that are
> given preferential treatment: BMW, Honda, and now Chrysler.

Really?  Boy, I guess I must have missed the meeting where it was
decided to do this.  Anybody else make that one?  Dan?  Jim?  Neal?

There are those who contend "classing favoritism" should be extended
to manufacturers who participate in contingency and/or sponsorship
programs.  Being something of a technical purist, I am adamantly NOT
one of those.  If I'd been in the minority in a decision to do what
I would consider to be prostitution of the classification process,
I'd certainly be willing to gripe about it now.

KCB