Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:16:36 EDT
Eric writes:

> I dunno.  That "if it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule isn't a very
>  valid one since it doesn't say you can tint your windows, but you can.

Comfort and convenience.

>  It doesn't say you can't have 25 layers of paint to add weight, but you
>  can.
And added weight, all over the car, is an advantage in what way?  Or were you
going to paint it heavier in the rear?

>  It doesn't say you can't have 200 pounds of stereo equipment in the
>  trunk, but you can.

Comfort and convenience.

>  It doesn't say you can't use synthetic power
>  steering fluid, but you can.

Fluids are free, I believe...

>  It doesn't say that you can't use a different differential fluid to
>  alter the lockup and/or slippage characteristics, but you can.
>  It doesn't say that you can't use Red Line Water Wetter to reduce your
>  coolant temperatures, but you can.

Fluids are free.

>  If you can't already tell, I absolutely hate blanket statements like "if
>  it doesn't say you can, you can't."  Such statements just aren't always
>  true.
No, they are true.  All of your examples are allowed somewhere, except your
silly paint example...

>  >The rules do, however allow one trailer hitch...
>  Yeah, and it could be made out of heavy tungsten metal also.  So can the
>  allowed tow bar brackets.  And the rules don't say anything about
>  construction materials either.

It does say "may serve no other purpose" so I'd be careful just how heavy you
make that hitch...

CHD