Re: FW: miata????(Vette classing)

To: "Isley, Jason C." <JIsley@cell1.com>
Subject: Re: FW: miata????(Vette classing)
From: Mike McClure <mikemc@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 13:47:56 -0500
I gotta agree with Jason on this one.  I know it might seem as though I
am a little biased since I am a Vette driver in SS, but I have had a few
experiences driving RX-7s also.  Just so you know, the fastest RX-7 at
Nationals this year was 1.8 seconds in front of the fastest Corvette.

I have found that, on average, I am a little under a second faster in a
well prepared RX-7 on a typical 60 second course than I am in my Vette.
I have literally just jumped in an unfamiliar RX-7 and significantly
beat my Vette's times more than once on the same course.  Granted, these
times are usually recorded during "fun runs" after the official event is
complete and I have only done this about five times.

However, I am not in favor of moving the newer Corvettes to AS.  AS
seems to be a pretty decent class as it is and moving there would likely
upset a lot of people and probably wouldn't be the fairest decision.  I
would advocate a new class that included '84 and newer Corvettes if SS
is soon to have a bunch of new "class killers".

The Corvette has a huge following and if people thought that they had a
real chance at the car being competitive I am posative a LOT more of
them would show up to play.  Several people have told me that they would
love to see this happen.  I know for a fact that an older C4 Corvette
can be purchased and prepared for National level competition for under
$10,000 because I have done it.  This means a person wouldn't have to
have the latest car or technology in order to go fast in this class.

Please don't get me wrong.  I am not whining and complaining because I
got beat by a few RX-7's (neither is Jason for that matter).  I am
perfectly happy with my 4th place finish this year behind some excellent
drivers.  I just think it might be good for the sport if "America's
Sports Car" had a place to play competitively.

Thanks for listening,

Mike McClure
'86 Vette
Houston, TX