RE: Blast from the Past

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Blast from the Past
From: Lloyd Loring <lloydl@skyenet.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:47:24 -0500
Since I was a proud owner of an Austin-Healey LeMans and still have many of
my memory brain cells working indifferently, I can assure you that if it is
truly a LeMans, it was the original 100/4 4-cylinder Austin-Healey, with
folding aeroscreen, but with a leather strap across the louvered hood,
slightly bigger SU carburetors, a Laycock DeNormanville electric overdrive
(controlled by a switch on the fascia) and a handsome 2-color paint scheme
(mine was red with a black insert behind the front wheels that swooped down
to the back.)

In essence the LeMans model was sold just as the car had raced at LeMans. I
have no idea where it finished that year, but it probably got a class win,
or something. The body was mixed steel and aluminum, which created
electrolysis rot where the panels met. There is a well-restored example of
this car owned by Tom Mittler of Mishawaka, IN. It was one of the
handsomest cars ever designed and built in England.

I drove my LeMans to a 7th place finish in the Indiana State Gymkhana, held
at Bunker Hill Air Force Base (now Grissom Aeroplex) many years ago. I
agree, John, get it out from under the debris and drive it proudly! But
check those wire wheels. They may have gone "off" slightly after all this
time. And if you need a Uni-Syn to balance the SU carbs, I've got one!

Lloyd Loring  <lloydl@skyenet.net>