Healey "LeMans"

To: hottvr@tfs.net
Subject: Healey "LeMans"
From: JD_Kemp@notes.ymp.gov
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:15:21 -0700

Darn this digest!  I don't get to chime in on the Brit-car discussions until
it's too late!

Wasn't the Healey 100-4 LeMans a homologation special for the race, so
sanctioning body (FIA?) would let the lightweight aluminum fendered cars compete
as "stock" or "production" (or whatever they called 'em back then)?  Seems to me
I've read that, and that the cars with the "look alike" steel fenders and
louvered hood were done up later as a sales/promotional kinda thing.

It sounds to me like the Kelly's have one of the "steel fendered" kind.  The
picture backs this up, as it has bumpers, which the factory lightweight cars did
not.  A neighbor of my friend Gene's had one of the steel fendered 100-4 Lemans
cars, a rusted out, kinda ratty one, and sold it for some incredible sum of
money.  And, the guy that cut up the aluminum fendered car to fit bigger tires
oughta be horse-whipped.  (IMHO, of course!)

The Kelly garage is now on my "hit list" of places I want to go to commit Grand
Theft Auto!

JD Kemp &
"Lucretia MacEvil" #13 MGB