Re: C4 Vette

To: "Spitzer, Charlie" <Charlie_Spitzer@stratus.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:17:39 -0500
Charlie Spitzer wrote:

>well, here in phoenix, there are at least 4 vette clubs
participating in
>vette-only autoxing. i suppose we get 60-80 vettes (with a good
75% being
>C4's) to come out, with 10-12 races/year.

I believe that similar statements can be made for at least two
other marque clubs: PCA and BMWCCA. There are also some very
active Miata clubs around the country.

> of those, i would guess we see no
>more than 10 cars, and probably closer to 5, come out to the
scca races
>simply because they don't want to compete against other types
for whatever
>reason (snobbishness, perceived unfairness, etc).

Again, the same statement may be made of the other marque club
participants.

>that would be very large pool to have come out to scca.

Like the import drag crowd?  ;<) There are several other "large
pools" of potential Solo II competitors. It's not clear, however,
that they're generally interested in what Solo II has to offer.

> with a vette only
>class, scca would instantly grow to include a lot of them.

The same claims have been made for Porsche owners. The name of SS
is a dead giveaway as to the car that was originally expected to
dominate the class, and did so until the appearance of the RX7tt.
I would argue strenuously against any one-car national classes in
Solo II. At the regional level, it's no different than novice or
street tire classes. If a region wants to have such classes,
they're welcome to do so.

> i can imagine
>that there are other similar cities around the country in the
same
>situation.

Probably so. I'd suggest a local 'Vette-only class as a test
market for the concept. If it's a smashing success at the local
level, the idea would gain credibility for a national class. I'd
still be agin' it myself, though.

Jay