Re: Dataloggers as aux timers? (was: '89 Nationals Timing Fiasco)

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Subject: Re: Dataloggers as aux timers? (was: '89 Nationals Timing Fiasco)
From: "Rick Brown" <Free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:37:01 -0700
->
>Oh, I'm with you there. I certainly don't want a case of "timing said
51.000.
>His datalogger said 50.800. So we'll split the difference and give him
50.900"

>The best a competitor should get is a rerun - and in the instance that
someone
>can prove gross timing failure for himself, it probably occured for at
least one
>other competitor - so perhaps _everyone_ should get a rerun in this case.

Wow, this brings back a memory.  I remember when we first started using
electronic timing (nixie tube display!!) way back when and we didn't really
trust it, so there was "backup timing" outside the motorhome which
copnsisted of 3 or 4 people with stop watches and clip boards.  If the
stopwatch time and the announced time didn't agree within + or - some
amount, the car got a re-run.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z