Re: C4 Vette

To: "Spitzer, Charlie" <Charlie_Spitzer@stratus.com>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 15:28:59 -0700
"Spitzer, Charlie" wrote:

> well, here in phoenix, there are at least 4 vette clubs participating in
> vette-only autoxing. i suppose we get 60-80 vettes (with a good 75% being
> C4's) to come out, with 10-12 races/year. of those, i would guess we see no
> more than 10 cars, and probably closer to 5, come out to the scca races
> simply because they don't want to compete against other types for whatever
> reason (snobbishness, perceived unfairness, etc).
>
> that would be very large pool to have come out to scca. with a vette only
> class, scca would instantly grow to include a lot of them. i can imagine
> that there are other similar cities around the country in the same
> situation.

        The same can apply to almost any of the Marque clubs. PCA for instance,
has (in some regions) very large attendance numbers and only a small
fraction of those people will tend to appear at local SCCA events. And
yes, a part of it is the "perceived unfairness" of competing against a
lighter-stiffer-smaller-quicker-differnt car.

        When I lived in the bay area, I made every effort to play with both
SCCA and PCA. It made for a lot of events, and I wound up missing a good
number of PCA events in favor of SCCA ones. But another reason why you
may not have that many cross over people is possibly a very non-car
related one. Autoxers, be they SCCA, PCA, Vette, BMW, or otherwise, are
very social creatures. It can probably get a little taxing if you get
involved in too many social circles, and some people may prefer to hang
with crowd "x" rather than crowd "y".

        But yes, the "perceived unfairness" does exist in the marque clubs.
After all, if I can go play in the PCA and compete against nothing but
1973 or 1974 914 2.0's, and I'm doing well in what is -really- a spec
series, why would I want to go duke it out with cars that everybody says
are faster? Oh yeah, that really is a class in some of the PCA Zones.
I'm sure there are similar kinds of structures in other marque clubs.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/