Re: Miata???

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata???
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:56:35 -0400
Here are a couple of my observations/theories about the competitiveness of
1.6L Miatas vs. the MR2 non-turbo.

First, the Miatas were generally faster in CS than the MR2s.  The smaller,
lighter, more nimble Miata seemed to be much better for autox, even though
the MR2 had a lot more power.  The really fast MR2 drivers (Bailey,
Fletcher, Thompson, Broderick, Murray, etc.) seemed to be more interested in
the A-stock turbo version.  A few CS MR2 guys were doing pretty well (like
Noordergraaf and Bly), but were still getting beat by Miatas at the national
level.  At the same time, there were some 914s and 325's and even a couple
of RX7s and Fieros that were not doing too bad.  Back then, nobody seemed to
think the 944/924S was a good CS car.

Then the 1.8L Miata came along and started dominating CS.  The extra power
obviously helped, but I think the biggest benefit came from the Torsen LSD.
When the Miatas got moved to BS, then some fast drivers decided to develop
the MR2.  When folks like the Baileys decided to try a CS MR2, then it
really started to shine.  My theory used to be that the biggest jump in MR2
performance happened when BFG came out with the 225/50-14 R1.  When this
wide 14" tire came out, the MR2 started being a killer car.  But this year
Priebe was kicking butt on 195 and 205 Kumhos, so it may have just been a
coincidence.

The 1.6L Miatas used to beat the MR2s in CS.  It will be interesting to see
what happens next year.  There will be guys like Andy Poling resurrecting
their old 1.6L Miatas for this class.  A lot of the CS MR2 folks seem to be
bailing out, but I haven't seen the Baileys' car for sale so it should be
interesting.

Brad Burns