What about the Mustang II?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: What about the Mustang II?
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:35:47 -0700
Hey, everybody. I just got this email from a Jonathon E. Beckendorfer. I've
never heard of him before. This is a very strange letter; however, it brings
up some very interesting questions. I have no idea how to answer this. It's
kind of long-winded, but due to the letter's content, I felt it was in
everyone's best interest to post the entire text.

Katie Kelly

Dear Ace Reporter,

I have long been an admirer of yours, especially when you write for North
American Pylon. I think NAP is a great newspaper, probably better than the
Wall Street Journal. They don't even use real pictures. That picture of you
driving the Phantom (latest issue of NAP), the fastest autocross car in the
world, looks very good. I can't wait to read about your experiences in that
most fantastic of vehicles.

I am a member of the Mustang II Club. I am very proud of my Mustang II,
which I purchased brand new in 1976. It is white, with blue stripes. Our
Mustang II Club has annual gatherings that include autocrosses, concours,
rallies, and generally fun family get togethers. I'm proud to say I was the
State Champion for three years in a row, '84-'86. I took a break for about
ten years, and then got back into it just recently. I must say, I was very
dismayed to discover that when Thelma Jones took the State Championship this
year (in the MEN'S class no less!), the trophy girl was now a MAN wearing
nothing but one of those butt-thong bathing suits! I found this to be
terribly degrading to my gender.

But I digress. The Mustang II competition has grown rather stale as of late.
I wanted to try a new venue, something that would dust these cobwebs off my
little brain's gears, you see, and take my driving to a new level.

You cannot imagine my shock and horror at what they told me at registration
at this SCCA event. "Yes, you drive your Mustang II very well, Mr.
Beckendorfer," I was told, "but to answer your question, No, you probably
won't win the F Stock National Championship in it."

What? They told me my car was "obsolete," a "has-been," "a dinosaur." They
suggested, with a nasty sneer, that if I want to be competitive, that I look
into purchasing a *newer* vehicle.

These words stung my delicate ear drums. My car was State Champion! They
said, "Sorry. It's almost a new millenium now, Mr. Beckendorfer. 'Charlie's
Angel's' has been in syndication for quite some time now."

I'm asking you, Ace, to help spread the word. I know of many Mustang II
drivers who would flock to your Solo II Nationals... if they_knew_ they had
a chance to _win_.

-Jonathon E. Beckendorfer