re: Mr. Foster & C4 Vettes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Mr. Foster & C4 Vettes
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:59:18 -0400
Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com> wrote:

> My point is that giving Vette drivers their own class won't necessarily
> increase their participation in SCCA events. Bear in mind that I love
> SCCA competition but I know a bunch of Corvette drivers and talk to them.
> So, here's some other reasons from their perspective.

> 1. Typical SCCA course design is more suited to Hondas, Miatas and Neons.
> They typically channel the cars to follow a single line through every
> corner and punishes any tail happy behavior.

You've just described every single course I've ever driven on that was run by
the local Corvette Club. I don't know why, but these guys absolutely love narrow
little squiggly courses with one line through it.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Corvette Club owns more pylons than MDOT - and they
use every single one of them. It's like if they don't use every single square
metre of the lot, and every single cone in their inventory, then they aren't
getting their money's worth....

If you want wide courses with turns that have more than one line through them,
or if you want to see a little speed, and you live in Detroit, then you come to
an SCCA race, not a Corvette Club race.

> 2. WAAAAAYYY too many pylons on course.

See above.

> 3. There seems to be some sort of unwritten rule against (shhhh, don't
> say it) straightaways.

Not if you put Chris & Marcus in charge of course design....

> 4. Why compete in a Corvette class in an SCCA event and get 3-4 runs when
> they can run a Corvette class in a NCCC event and get 12 runs and not
> have to work the event?

The local Corvette Club does 3-4 run events. They do have to work the course,
but..., well, you don't want to get me started on how they divide the work
assignments.

DG