re: Mr. Foster & C4 Vettes

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Mr. Foster & C4 Vettes
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:13:38 -0400
<<<1. Typical SCCA course design is more suited to Hondas, Miatas and
Neons.
They typically channel the cars to follow a single line through every
corner and punishes any tail happy behavior. It's no secret that big
cars
need a different line from little cars. Design line freedom into corners
and the big car guys and gals will be happy.
2. WAAAAAYYY too many pylons on course.
3. There seems to be some sort of unwritten rule against (shhhh, don't
say it) straightaways. Hey, I personally witnessed a total *fit* put on
by a National Champion (driving a sub-100 hp car) when a 200 foot
straight was added to a divisional course (horrors!!). He even BELIEVED
that straights are forbidden in Solo 2 rules (no self interest there)!
4. Why compete in a Corvette class in an SCCA event and get 3-4 runs
when
they can run a Corvette class in a NCCC event and get 12 runs and not
have to work the event?>>>

This is definitely not true in SFR - or at least it wasn't when I was a
member. When a big car guy designed the course it was typically more
open with longer straights. When a small car guy designed the course it
tended to be narrower. The region was full of both types. But I know
what you mean. Larry Park started his autocross series for that very
reason.

But the rules specify the minimum width and the minimum slalom distance.
If you follow the course design rules there should be plenty of room -
even for for land yachts. It may not have the straights and hairpins
that the big bore guys love but it should be fair.

<<<You obviously don't know me and have chosen to jump to some pretty
accusatory assumptions. I happen to co-chair a thriving and growing
autocross program in the Atlanta area. Having 200+ competitors would be
welcome and encouraged at our events. We had a high of 164 entrants at
one event in '99 and we are averaging more than 100 entries per event.
The more competitors I have in my class the better. Having fierce
competition is what I thrive on. I'd rather come in last in a top notch
class than win a single car class, any day.>>>

Well, actually your previous statements on safety have caused me to take
a less than favorable view of your events. Perhaps I jumped too hard.
But I still think margue clubs have a point and that we lost 20-30
attendees from Nationals when the RX7TT was put in SS.

<<<I just don't happen to agree with your assumptions. How can you
guarantee
every car will be competitive in a class? Frankly, in our sport, the
driver has FAR more to do with success than the car. I know of lots of
cars that won National Championships that have been sold and are now
back-markers in their local regions. Same cars different drivers. There
is far too much emphasis on equipment among team.netters. Top notch
drivers make mediocre cars shine. Mediocre drivers spend piles of money
trying to build an edge into their equipment and still populate the
bottom of their classes. Then they whine on team.net about how their
cars
are misclassed.>>>

I guess you don't know who Roger Johnson is. You should. He is part of
our history.

<<<Here's a challenge. Hire John Ames to drive your "misclassed" car and
see
what happens.>>>

I will bet every penny I have that Roger Johnson will creme John Ames in
his C4 Corvette. How much do you want to wager?

Paul Foster