Proposal to allow 8" wide wheels in P?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Proposal to allow 8" wide wheels in P?
From: Maureen Soar <msoar@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:37:11 -0700
<sorry, no Corvette content whatsoever>

Rumor has it that there will be a proposal floated to allow cars in Prepared
to run 8" wheels so that we could run non-cantilever tires. This would have
to be true for AP, DP and EP, since most BP and CP cars run wider wheels
already. Many of the entrants run 8" cantilevers on 5.5-6.5" wheels and the
cost of cantilevers is going up while the availability of soft tire
compounds is going down.

I haven't decided where I would be on this issue, although a quick check of
some tire web sites show the non-cantilevers are $40-$80 cheaper per tire,
which would pay for a new set of wheels pretty quick - plus it would greatly
increase the pool of qualifiers and take-offs available.  Has anybody heard
who is behind this proposal and what chance it stands?

I know there might be some resistance because it would lead Solo2 Prepared
away from the road-race specs, which is, IMHO, a ridiculous argument, since
the cross-over between the two is even lower than between IT and SP and it
takes major $$$ to convert a rr-spec car into a competitive autoxer and vv.

Mo Soar
DP 5 Fiat X1/9 Oregon Region SCCA Solo2