CORVETTES (PERIOD)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: CORVETTES (PERIOD)
From: Rick Perry <perryr@spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:33:07 -0700
et all,

I felt the need to jump in here and add my take.
As many of you know, I've been running Corvettes for over 20 years now.
Ten years in Street Prepared and the last ten in Prepared (BP).
Regardless of what many may think of Corvettes or Corvette drivers, it's
very clear to us SCCA SOLO2
Corvette drivers that C4 participation is WAY down in the stock classes
because of the RX7TT.
I was at the nationals in 89 (ran in CP), 90 & 91(in BP), 92 & 93 (in AM)
and had many friends running in SS.
In 91, I think there were 49 cars in SS and 48 were Corvettes, the other
was a Nissan 300ZXTT.

Locally, (in San Diego) in the early to mid 90's we had up to 15 to 20
vettes in SS, now we have 4 to 6.
Of course we also had Gary Thomason, in a Corvette then his RX7TT.  He's
lurking out there, ask him why he switched to the RX7TT.  (p.s., answer is
to win!).

Locally, we always have 50 to 60 Corvettes that will show up at an all
Corvette autocross, NCCC or otherwise.

The fact is, for whatever reason, most of the Corvette folks would rather
run against other Corvettes.
We have a very active Porsche group here, but they don't run in SCCA events
because they would rather run against other Porsche's.

In road racing GT1, turbo RX7 cars are not allowed ('89 on) to run against
the Vettes, Cameros or Mustangs.  How come in SOLO2  (PREPARED) we allow
them to shed 400 lbs. and then add 100 to the Corvette ??

There have been a lot of Mazda folks on the SEB over the last 6 years.

Who cares if there is a marque class, as long as there is good participation.
It wouldn't bother me a bit if there was a VW Beetle only class with 30
cars in it.
In fact it would be fun to watch !

The fact is SS was a National's success, and now it's not.

Anyway bring em all on, I've lost before...............................

Rick
BP-89