Re: 16" custom 3 pce wheel centers - info requd

To: schumi@vcn.bc.ca, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 16" custom 3 pce wheel centers - info requd
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:09:28 EDT
schumi@vcn.bc.ca writes:

<< Want to replace my broken centers (by Monocoque) with another make that
 will mate with my inner and outer piece rims. Who manufactures a 16" wheel
 center for late Porsches with _20_ bolt holes on the outer edge to affix
 the inner & outer rims? >>

I doubt if anyone will have a proper center, short of custom machining.  You
just need to get a forged center from Monocoque.  A proper forged center
should not be cracking.  I've had a set of Monocoques for four years; first
on the M3, and now on the Z3 coupe.  They probably have well over 125 events
on them and have passed every annual crack dye test to date.

Sometimes some bad material gets through.  I pointed out to a competitor this
year a crack in his Vette's center spoke.  Can't remember the brand, wasn't
Monocoque, but was a well known manufacturer.  Worst case you could probably
talk Monocoque into making a heavier center for you.  Some of the Porsches
have such extreme offsets that many manufacturers won't offer them, for
stress-related reasons.

Mark Sipe