Subject: classing (was C4 Vette)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: classing (was C4 Vette)
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:50:51 EDT
"Seeley, Dale E" <Dale.Seeley@usa.xerox.com> wrote :

> I've been to two Porsche Club autox events...
> They had a different class for every model, and sub classes for years,
>  with more subclasses for level of modification...
> I was astonished that the cars weren't classed according to color.

Our local Porsche club region (Connecticut valley) used to have the
best classing system I have ever seen, one that could work
for SCCA but would be impossible to implement.

We were classed by _DRIVER_. Car model, preperation, tires
made no difference. I was in HS (hot shoe) class in my stock
'72 911S and won overall in the mid 80s. Then people started
building very fa$t cars and I could not win again until I got my
current car.

SCCA can have this at the nationals :

AS : Mark Daddio, Jeff Altenburg, Dean Sapp, etc
BS : People with one championship or a few high trophies
HS : People who don't win SCCA regionals (yet)

ASP : John Ames, Popp, any Lotus drivers because they are so good ;-)
BSP : Scotty B. White, etc (close but no cigar).

(BTW : Scotty is pushing the envelope, 3rd quickest today in T2
at the runoffs in Ohio. He only missed 2nd by .058 seconds.
This has the makings of a fine race, I think it will be on speedvision
this weekend - Matt??)

AP :  John Thomas, Wade Scannel, etc

Mod would be a bit harder as cars are crazy :-)

Next, Mad Matt Murray wrote :

> At the Porsche Club's National meeting,
> they have a ton of different classes. Piera can
> enlighten us on that. Mikey you have the floor.

Yes they have about 25 "stock" classes covering
every Porsche ever made, for example an '83 911SC and
an '84 911 Carrera run in a different class, and your 968
runs in a different class from a boxster, so you'd have a chance
against Pat ;-)

These "stock" classes are like SCCA SP class except no
engine swaps and only 1" wider than stock wheels. The whole
set of rules is ridiculous - there are "points" that you add up
for different mods which you total in 4 columns to determine
classes. Nobody understands the rules, especially the national
rules committee members. I run in MOD class and had to
run 8" rims or be bumped to a faster mod class, even though
engine swaps and any other mods are legal in any mod class...

And you guys are complaining about SCCA rules! At least you
have a way of getting things changed and people who actually
listen.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing including Porsche Parade @ Mt. tremblant

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com