Ever installed a Racing Harness in an Accord?

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ever installed a Racing Harness in an Accord?
From: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:19:41 -0400
All,

Jamie Sculerati was gracious enough to provide me with an H-type 4-point
harness that he wasn't using. However, I'm having trouble figuring out
the best way to install it in my 90 Honda Accord Coupe.

He gave me three forged shoulder-type eyebolts (7/16" fine thread, 1.5"
length), because when he sold his Prelude, the car didn't want to let
one of them go.

It looks like I'll be able to use two of them for the shoulder belts.
All I have to do is remove the bolts that hold the rear seatbelts and
replace them with the two of the eyebolts (which are too long, but will
fit after I cut them with a carbide hack blade).

My problem is the lapbelts. In the 2-door Accord, there appear to be no
convenient points of attachment for an eyebolt on either side. The stock
lapbelt disappears into the rocker panel, and I would have to rip out
the carpet to get at whatever is holding it there (it appears to be
riveted in place), which is something I want to avoid. The stock
shoulder belt is attached to the doorframe on one of those automatic
tracks. The slack spool is somehow attached to the seat itself on the
inner side of the seat.

I would like to retain the stock belts for regular use, and to just add
the harness when I autocross. The shoulder belt situation seems like
it'll work that way. However, I would like some input from anyone who
works with hondas on what to do with the lap belts.

I found that the two bolts that hold the rear end of the seat tracks
might be a good place to hook in, but I can't find eyebolts that would
fit. I would need two 3/8" fine thread, forged, shoulder-type, 3/4"
length eyebolts, which are rare, if not non-existent. I may end up
making some little hooks out of steel plate.

Also, it seems nobody nearby stocks fine-threaded, forged, shoulder-type
eyebolts. Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks for your help.

--
John Crooke