Solonats on the Net (Was: Runoffs coverage)

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, "Lindsay Wilson" <lwilson1@ford.com>
Subject: Solonats on the Net (Was: Runoffs coverage)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:44:39 -0500

Uhh, nobody could find the media room?

Not to say it could not be done -- and Kurt Spitzner (Solo's version of Eric
Prill) was on-site -- but there is more to it logistically, it would seem
from a distant observation.

First, someone needs to be detailed to do it. Probably someone from Denver
(Spitzner?).

Next, results need to be made available. They are available now in printed
form, as we see them at Information usually within half an hour or less of a
class being completed. Lindsay's post mentioned results being FAXed, so you
are talking hard copy there, but I suspect to get them up on the website as
quickly as they were AND in the form they were, what Susan and Eric were
able to get hold of were something electronic -- a disk or a direct computer
link. This possibly could be done at Nationals by having a results disk
downloaded at the course specifically for this purpose after the heat is
completed. It would therefore need to be made part of the established
routine.

Third, remember that while Mid-Ohio is a purpose-built, self-contained
facility set up to handle a major press presence (as in, for CART races,
etc.), Forbes Field is nothing more, to us, than a flat piece of concrete on
which we create an event from scratch, run it, and remove it again. There is
no supporting infrastructure such as Mid-Ohio offers other than what we
create or make special arrangements for -- no press room, no driver
interview room, no fax lines, no timing tower, no communication lines, no
phone lines, no flush toilets, no rentable garages, etc, etc, etc. And that
is true of every venue that has been the site for a Nationals at least since
1980 (a few of those amenities may have been available at '70s sites that,
today, could not handle our size even if they were/are still existing).

Fourth, someone needs to think of it, and maybe Matt just did that. So I'm
CC'ing this response to Tasha for her "good ideas for 2000" file. If it
makes sense logistically, maybe she can make it happen.

--Rocky Entriken