Miata option questions

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata option questions
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:31:24 -0500 (CDT)
I know there was some discussion on this recently, but I can't seem to
find archives for Team.net (only for the CM, FM, etc. lists). If anyone
can point me to the archives, that would be handy.

Anyway, I think I've caught the Miata bug and am looking for a new '99 or
'00 Miata, and wondering about the best option choices for autox.

I'm leaning towards the Sport package (15" wheels, strut bar,
shocks, etc.), but could see some autox advantage to a 14" wheel model
with the Torsen. Seems the sport package would be the best all around
(street and competition) solution, but any experience/advice would be
appreciated.

Also, I realize I'm probably looking at the dreaded "Koni perch height"
issue at some point in my future, but would like to go with the stock
shocks for at least a while, as I try to un-learn my FWD habits. So, how
are the Sport package Bilsteins? Good enough?

Finally, power steering--optional on '99, standard on '00 as far as I can
tell. I'm thinking the power steering is the way to go, unless it isn't up
to autox conditions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the above, or any other advice.
Reply directly if you prefer.

Tom Maycock
GS '93 Ford Probe (for now)
BS Miata ???