Re: Miata questions

To: Tim Aro <timaro@hsc.vcu.edu>, "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata questions
From: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
--- Tim Aro <timaro@hsc.vcu.edu> wrote:
> To all the Miata gurus out there.  I have some questions about the
> '99
> Miatas:
>
> 1)  What stock size (within 1/4 offset..obviously) aftermarket wheels
> are available? Custom built or otherwise.
> 2)  What swaybars have been used, by whom, and with what shock
> set-up?
> 3)  Is the stock front bar too wimpy on the Sport or 10AE, or do some
> run it?
> 4)  Impressions of stock Bilsteins?
> 5)  Impressions of other shocks?
> 6) Power steering versus non ps?  Good, bad, indifferent?
> 7) Does anyone know the relative weights of the Sport versus 10AE
> versus
> others?
> 8) How does a '99 handle relative to the earlier versions? (I know
> it's
> difficult to answer this given set-up variances, but generally
> speaking....)
> 9) What kind of camber have people been able to get out of the '99s?
> 10) What exhaust seems to be the most popular?
> 11) Is Dalan (sp?) the best way to go for a hitch?  Or are there
> others?
>
> 12) Do I sound clueless...or what?
>
> Thanks in advance to those assisting the clueless.
>
> T. Aro

Tim,

I'm gonna assume you're looking for a new Miata for an AutoX car...;)
You might be better off posting this question to the Miata Listserv
(miata@realbig.com).  There's over a thousand people on that list that
could probably answer your questions more fully.  Unfortuneatly, I
don't own a '99 so I can't speak from direct experience - only what
I've heard in the last year about the '99s on the list.  DON'T get
power steering if you can help it.  The manual rack is much nicer on
the Miatas.  The power assist rack "assists" a little too much for my
taste.  I'm going to eventually swap mine out for a manual rack.  The
10AE weighs more, but I'm not sure how much.  The 6-speed gear box
weighs more, if you're concerned about weight go with the sport.  I've
heard some complain about he '99's being more tail-happy, but that is
very subjective and depends on who the driver is.  Some run the stock
bar, some don't - that depends on driving style, but it will hold up to
abuse.  Typically the '99's run faster than the earlier models, but of
course that also depends on the driver.  I would say the factory wheels
would be a good place to start looking for race wheels.  The stock
'94-'97 14" seven spokers (11lbs.) or the 15" BBS wheels (8.5lbs.) from
the '95 M Edition would be good choices - that is if you are staying in
B stock.  Of course the BBS wheels are expensive and hard to come by
($850/piece dealer price).  I believe the stock '99 14 inchers tip the
scales at about 14lbs. - not sure about the 15s.  As far as shocks go,
Konis are available now and the factory Bilsteins from all the model
years tend to be really stiff.  Some like 'em, some don't.  I run
Konies in my '97 and love them.  I personally don't know of any other
redily available shocks for the '99, but I'm sure they're out there.  I
hope this helps somewhat.

Derek Engelhaupt
'97 Miata
St. Paul, MN