Re: Type R Replacement (refuting some racist content)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Type R Replacement (refuting some racist content)
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:28:16 -0500

Jim & Marilyn Rohn wrote:

> and we can assume that some "rice-boy/girls" were responsible for the theft
> thinking these are too kool based on all the publicity they have gotten in
> the "coffee can exhaust" car magazines
>
> aren't these the same people the SCCA is trying to court with the street
> squirrel classes?

Man, I can't believe you're going there.  Sure, there's some "dirty
rice" out there, but surely not all or even a significant part of the
group are thieves.  Things are not always as they appear.  Good
example:  my neighbor in the brand new house next door.  The guy looks
like your typical Mexican-American gang wannabe, fairly young (actually
he's 34, slightly older than me), dark hair, goatee, etc.  His hobby?
Building show quality low-riders, of course.  So you see this guy
cruising the street in his '84 Camaro with full hydraulics and gold
plating and you might think he sold drugs or stole things to pay for his
hobby.  The guy is a lawyer (I'll forego the lawyer jokes... I know
they're there!), and a very respectable person.  In fact, he's every bit
as dedicated to his passion of building and showing low-riders as many
of our top-level National competitors are.  He's got the 'burban and the
enclosed trailer, the whole bit.  His show car (haven't seen it yet,
it's in Texas somewhere getting a new interior) has over $120k in it...
and CAN'T be driven.  Man, I gotta get this dude to an autocross...

So, I guess what I'm saying is "No", we can't assume that the rice crowd
is responsible for this theft.  We can probably assume that the parts
might end up in their hands somehow, but the theft was pulled off by a
criminal or more likely a group of criminals of unknown origin.  To
them, the Type R parts are just a very easily moved product.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca