Re: Type R Replacement (refuting some racist content)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Type R Replacement (refuting some racist content)
From: Todd Walke <racertod@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:23:14 -0700
Loren Williams wrote:

>So, I guess what I'm saying is "No", we can't assume that the rice crowd
>is responsible for this theft.  We can probably assume that the parts
>might end up in their hands somehow, but the theft was pulled off by a
>criminal or more likely a group of criminals of unknown origin.  To
>them, the Type R parts are just a very easily moved product.

        Except that the Type-R motor is highly prized as a drop-in replacement
in
hopped-up Civics.  One of the import mags was reporting that is a big
problem nationwide.  They even reported that one car had twice been stolen
and stripped.  Due to the low numbers imported, there are very few
legitimate motors available at wrecking yards.  Those that are available
are in high demand and command a high price - and thus stealing and
stripping a Type R is very profitable weather you sell the motor or use it
yourself.
        At large import shows the organizers will actually check engine numbers
on
any Civic with a Type R motor against a database of stolen engine from Type
Rs that have been stolen and stripped.  So the engine is probably sitting
in some less-than-honest guy's Civic.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car)  229,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car)     301,000 miles

Come visit:
 RacerTodd's Ferrari Pit Stop
 http://www.crosswinds.net/~racertod
          includes: