Re: Snow tires as autox rains?

To: <TeamZ3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Snow tires as autox rains?
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:23:38 -0700
From: <TeamZ3@aol.com>

> Speaking of unconvential ideas, was curious as to what anyone knowledgable
> would think of using the latest and greatest porous, low temp compound
snow
> tires as autox rain tires, provided they were the same aspect ratio/width
as
> dry race tires.  I could see them not working well in drying conditions,
but
> it seems like they'd almost be the same as Hoosier Dirt Stockers in a way.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I used Bridgestone Blizzaks for a winter while in Omaha, and while they're
awesome in the snow, they are horrible in the dry, no matter how cold it is.

Additionally, unless the temperature is below 40 degrees, even in the wet,
they wear VERY quickly... even more quickly than autox tires.

Add to that the fact that most snow tires have very soft sidewalls, and you
have a tire that really doesn't handle well at all unless there's snow on
the road.

You're better off buying a good high performance tire with excellent
wet-weather ratings.  They'll perform better and last longer.

Rob