Also Re: Type R Replacement (long)

To: autox@autox.team.net, baby_nsx@yahoo.com
Subject: Also Re: Type R Replacement (long)
From: NASA-VA Jon Felton <nasa-va@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:39:31 -0400
I've gotta jump in too, Annie.  Although I have no dog
in this fight, the logic astounds me.

The offensiveness on Mr. Rohn's part clearly comes
from anger, so it can be reasonably excused.  He has
some valid points, though, both good and bad.  But first,
two related stories:

I remember helping a friend (speak up if you're still
on this list) take all the valuable goods out of his
Integra Type R after he was T-boned (not his fault,
and the car was totalled).  This was NOT a "ricer".
This was a dedicated autoXer and track school person
who bought the car because of its unnatural capabilities
in the twisties.  In the parking lot of the body shop where
the car was left by the tow truck, we had to do things like
pull out the shift light and pull out the hand-stamped serial
number plate on the center console door.  That was as
much for his memories as it was because I had a feeling
the car would be vandalized because of what it was.

STORY #2:  At one regional autocross in 1998, there was a
particularly high turnout of "ricers" in Civics and Integras
and GTI's and more.  I remember a fellow racer ranting and
raving about his missing $140 MOMO fireproof roadracing
gloves.  He said he had left them in the car next to his helmet
while he went out to chase cones.  Certain that one of the
"ricers" had stolen the gloves, he confronted them.  To make
a long story short, they left early and never returned.  And his
gloves turned up later that day in his helmet bag, where he
had clearly left them that morning.

Now some hopefully semi-salient points:

1) Some "ricers" are indeed criminals.  Go to a traditional
friday night import drag race or parking lot gathering
to see what I mean.  Fights, weapons on occasion,
and plenty of things lifted.  You can't leave a half eaten
bagel on your hood without it getting stolen.  A distinct
lack of friendliness and camaraderie (IMHO), at least
toward a guy in an RX-7 trying to get them to come out
to an autocross.  =-)

2) A statistically irrelevant number of "ricers" are these
criminals - despite the fact that a good number are
spending their parents' money to emulate the look of
these criminals.  The majority are young-ish people
attracted to modern day hot-rodding, with good
intentions and no criminal record (based on
my observations, of course - I have no data).

3) The true "rice world" is a culture that doesn't just focus
on the cars.  Go to the NOPI Nationals to see what I
mean.  It's about clothes, music, attitude, and more.
It's a lifestyle and a statement.  This year, that show had
as many spectators and participants as the Petit Le Mans
sports car race happening on the other side of Atlanta on
that same weekend.  Sacrilege to some, possibility to
others.

4) Ergo, the "rice" market represents a HUGE profit
potential.  (I wish I had the data on how many millions
of dollars were poured into that scene this year.  Point
is, there are a lot of dollars flowing.)

5) Indeed, the Type R Integra is the Holy Grail of
rice-dom.  Much of that is due to media hype.  But the
car is truly remarkable nonetheless.  Especially when
compared to the Civic DX, Civic HX, or even Civic EX it
has come to lord over (hell, the ITR is even impressive
when compared to its sister, the ordinarily quite fabulous
and fun Integra GS-R).  The desire for the car does extend
into SCCA circles, and its success in autoX, roadracing,
and so on prove that fact.

6) The SCCA (and other organizations, hint hint) are
indeed trying to attract the "rice" crowd to autocross and
track schools and roadracing, with varying levels of
success.  Utilizing current ITR race cars as propaganda
tools to attract "ricers" is one common step no one should
be afraid to try.

7) Autocross, track days, and roadracing are the next
logical step after parking lot car shows and drag racing.
Furthermore, the cost to be competitive can be much
less.  We all hope (or maybe dread that) they will realize
this and come play with us in the next few years.

8) As the "ricers" infiltrate the good old SCCA, many
people get nervous.  Because the perception is that you
can't leave your $50 torque wrench or your $140 fireproof
driving gloves in plain view with "ricers" around.  There may
be some truth to this, but (hopefully) not.  (SEE STORY #2
ABOVE.)

9) The SCCA (and other organizations, hint hint) need
to hook this market primarily because it is so large and
so prosperous.  Take a look at the growth of _Grassroots
Motorsports_ magazine versus _Sport Compact Car_
magazine in the last ten years to see what I mean.

10) We cannot afford to alienate the "ricers" because
their style doesn't immediately match that of the good
old SCCA.  Let them alienate themselves when they
realize how challenging autocross and roadracing are.  =-)

Okay, sorry for the length of that, I swear I had a good
point in there somewhere.  I just hate to see us forming
unfair opinions about those who are, by many accounts,
"the future of the sport".

As always... just my opinion, and not necessarily those of
my beloved organization.

Jon
___
Jon Felton, Executive Director
National Auto Sport Association, Atlantic Division
***pro racing, high performance driving schools,
time trials, autocrosses, and more --- RICERS WELCOME!!!***
(804) 573-NASA / nasa-va@juno.com
http://www.nasaproracing.com
PO Box 270, Richmond VA 23218-0270