RE Type R replacement

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE Type R replacement
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:45:38 -0700
John Felton wrote:
------
STORY #2:  At one regional autocross in 1998, there was a
particularly high turnout of "ricers" in Civics and Integras
and GTI's and more.  I remember a fellow racer ranting and
raving about his missing $140 MOMO fireproof roadracing
gloves.  He said he had left them in the car next to his helmet
while he went out to chase cones.  Certain that one of the
"ricers" had stolen the gloves, he confronted them.  To make
a long story short, they left early and never returned.  And his
gloves turned up later that day in his helmet bag, where he
had clearly left them that morning.
-------

"An man whose axe was missing suspected his neighbor's son.  The boy
looked like a thief, walked like a thief, and even spoke like a thief.
But the man found the axe while he was digging in the valley, and the
next time he saw his neighbor's son, the boy looked, walked, and spoke
like any other child." -Lieh Tzu c.300AD

It's pretty amazing that comments about the Import Drag crowd all
being ricers are the same things your parents and grandparents said
about hot rodders in the 50's, muscle car thugs in the 60's, and
hippies in the 70's.  It's the same crap that old-school skiers have
against snowboarders.  Apparently, having internet access has nothing
to do with how highly evolved we may claim to be.

In my area, we get more than a few import drag kids out to events.
Some are rice boys, most are not.  They talk, look, and walk
different.  Thefts are uncommon and usually occur at events where lots
of spectators appear.  Go figure.  If we are to truly integrate (no
pun intended)  the Import drag crowd into SCCA culture, we must do so
in a positive way.  Not just by offering car classes and ignoring them
'cuz they're different.

PS: The stuff about sleazy lawyers is all true  :-))))

-c.(stop the player hating)
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)