Re:

To: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>,
Subject: Re:
From: "Phillip S. Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:42:48 -0400
Jeff Christianson wrote:
-->I never understood why people were so suprised that they pulled out.  It
>was always about money, they did not support Solo and road racing because
>of some love for our sport.  They just wanted our money. <

Hey, that's marketing...And anyway you slice it, they paid out more to SCCA
racers and soloists over the past four years than any other marque.  I
thought it was a great deal while it lasted, and who's to say it won't come
back when and if the riff is setteled over trunk kits...

>They certainly got more money from the SCCA membership than they gave back.
Its a good
>deal for them to see a pack of 50 neons and only give money to the top few.
> Now that the enthusiast helped them establish the car and their name with
>all of  the aunts and uncles and grandmas...and so on,  they have moved
>their marketing dollars on to something else.

Guess you didn't attend the Solo 2 Nationals in the past 4 years where they
paid folks who were involved in the Super Solo program down to 40th
position....
That in itself is unheard of from ANY sponsor, let alone any other auto
marque.  My question to you and a few others who have blasted DC for their
pull-out is, why the sour grapes?  Name another sponsor who has put so much
into an amateur sport and received so little...

And just because they are pursuing another venue doesn't necessarily mean
that is the reason they pulled out of SCCA stuff.  We all KNOW whey they did
it, and who can blame them...

Phil Osborne