Re: S2000 Price

To: Chuck Hanson <hanson@swcp.com>
Subject: Re: S2000 Price
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:10:43 -0700

Chuck Hanson wrote:

> I visited my local Honda dealer on Saturday to see a new S2000 in the flesh
> (sheetmetal).  They had three and had them stickered out to over $50,000.
> At least $12,500 of the markup was just that, while the remainder was great
> and very useful stuff like a "Titanium Shift Knob".

Yep. It is a bit insane. I stopped at the Toyota dealer and talked to
someone from Toyota Corp who happened to be there (coincidently) and we
talked about the pricing situation on the S2000. He thought I should buy
the MR2-Spyder. 8-)

Turns out that the local dealer guranteed a price to not exceed list on
the MR2-Spyder, so we are looking at around $21k or so, with delivery in
5 and 1/2 months. For the same price as the S2000, I could buy 2
MR2-Spyders.

While I was there, I took a look at the Celica GT-S. In person, I found
I liked this car more than I expected. Looks roomy enough for 225 tires
easily. Interior is nice. Priced pretty cheaply. Available right now. If
it was only not FWD, I might be more tempted.

Randy Chase