Re: Intercooler update/backdate in SP?

To: jamies@mrj.com
Subject: Re: Intercooler update/backdate in SP?
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 00:07:21 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/99 7:21:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jamies@mrj.com
writes:

 > The intercooler itself is totally open. Run whatever you can fit. BUT and
 > this is a big one. NO mods can be made to bodywork to fit it. Alot of kits
 > require chopping holes in plastic or metal panels to get the piping in.
There
 > is no allowance for this. It is a weeny protest, but one that would
probably win.

<< No dog in this one, but why would this be a weenie protest?  Seems to me
 that cutting a huge hole to feed a huge intercooler offers a significant
 performance enhancement (to a point) over solutions which did follow the
 rules. >>

I am talking about triming a plastic air block panel to put a 2 inch pipe
through, which is what almost every intercooler kit on the market makes you
do. This is technically illegal in SP and pretty weenie if you ask me. If
someone chops a 6 inch hole and uses 5 inch pipe to his intercooler, it won't
make him any more power, just add a tiny bit of lag. 2 inch pipe is more than
enough for 300 plus hp. But in many cars there is not even room for that, I
know. I have seen it run completely under the radiator core support and this
is totally legal, but now becomes NOT streetable. No ground clearance. I
would much rather have an allowance for pipe passage holes up to 2.5 inch,
but it is not in the rules.

The other fun one is when the intercooler requires you to replace or relocate
the support under the hod latch. Once again, illegal in the SP rules, but
many readilly available I.C. kits require this kind of work.

My turbo car runs in EMod or STU now.

Gary M.