Also Re: S2000 Price

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Also Re: S2000 Price
From: NASA-VA Jon Felton <nasa-va@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:30:43 -0400
We saw a white S2000 in the flesh yesterday, not just sitting
at a dealership but out autocrossing IN THE RAIN at the VA
State Championships.  It looked and sounded about like I
thought it would.  (Quick and nimble and using lots of rpm's.)

Is this the first "S2000 in action" sighting in the country?

Jon

++++++++++++++++

Eric Linnhoff wrote:

Ahh, we had a chap show up this afternoon at our event with a brand new
S2000 looking to participate.

Alas, the event was already over and torn down but a few of us oohed and
ahhed at his car and told him that he had the coolest toy on the block.
We
invited him back the following week for the next local event.

Then he made the mistake of asking us if anybody wanted to drive his car
around the lot.

Umm, yes please.  ;^)

Thoughts about the S2000:
I'm too tall (or the windshield is too low), yet another car that I don't
fit in.  :^(
Very nice interior.
I would need no harness as there just ain't no room for me to go
anywhere.
;^)
Great handling even on the factory Bridgestone S-02 street tires.
Nice 50/50 weight balance.
Excellent brakes.
240 top end ponies but only 150 or so foot/pounds of low end grunt.
(typical
VTEC)
A tach that is very hard to redline.  ;^)
Should make a fine AS car. (We told him that locally we'd put him in AS.)

Over all, a very finely balanced car that will take a bit of gear rowing
keep up in the power band, but will reward the driver greatly if done
correctly.  I see a new car listed in the 2000 Nationals results top
spots
in AS.  ;^)

BTW, he said that he only paid $4K over sticker for it.

Still too rich for my blood.  Wait a year and they'll go for sticker
price
again, just like the initial Miata craze.

That is all, and Mark, the check's in the mail.  I'm just thankful we
aren't
asked to pay based on the # of posts we make.  ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC