Re: Rules clarification

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, <khschenk@SHRSYS.HSLC.ORG>
Subject: Re: Rules clarification
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:14:37 -0400
> "Option pacakge conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of
> a particular make and model, but only between configuations from within a
> particular model year.  Such conversions must be totally complete and the
> resultant car must meet all requirements of this section."
>
> The reason I ask is because I am over 6 feet tall.  I have a 1999 Honda
> Civic Coupe Si.  It comes with a height adjustable driver's seat.  Even
> with the seat cranked down all the way does not provide enough head room
> with a helmet on.  Would I be able to take a seat from a 1999 Civic DX or
> LX that does not have the height adjustable feature and install it in my
> Si?  The seat, I think is lower than the Si seat.  I have not confirmed
> this yet and it may be a moot point, but I thought I'd ask before I go to
> the dealer and start measuring seats.

Read the last sentence of the quote.  What this means is that it would be
100% legal to take a Civic DX and turn it into a Civic Si by replacing every
single component that is different between the two.  That's what it means by
"complete."  Unfortunately, this means that, within Stock rules, you can NOT
take a DX seat and put it into your Si unless you turn your Si into a
complete DX (which you would have to be absolutely insane to do).

Now read back a few days about a similar question regarding removing a seat
cushion on a Porsche 914 for the same reason.  General concensus is that
this is also not stock legal.  However, if you explain your local organizers
up front that your seat is different so you can actually fit into the car,
most likely they'll let you run in stock anyway.  Once you get up to
regional and national levels you have to be 100% squeaky clean or you could
easily lose to a protest.  But at the local level it's generally not a huge
concern.  The way I look at it, until I'm a good enough driver to be
competitive at the national level, I'm not going to worry about it.  I want
to mod my car somewhat, so I'm happy running in ST.

    - Justin
      95 SC2 "Locutus"
      83 320i "Igor"