Setup questions

To: "'autox list'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Setup questions
From: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:46:53 -0500
I have a '90 CRX that I run in CSP. Yesterday, I ran an event on concrete in
relatively cool weather (about 55 degrees) on some really old Hoosier
A3S02's. The car was just awful. Normally, it handles pretty neutral, with
some oversteer with lift throttle and awesome turn-in. The last few events
it has been an oversteering beast.

My first question to the list is - could the recent tendency to oversteer be
mostly due to the tires being shot? I know that Hoosiers (especially the
'old' ones) go away after so many runs, but I would think the balance of the
car should stay the same. Do used-up tires tend to amplify any bad habits
the car (or driver) has? Should I forget about making any changes until I
get a new set of tires (next season)?

I've already tried lowering the pressures in the back (used to run 46/44,
now 46/41), added more negative camber in the rear (-1.5 deg rear, -1.7
front), and softened the rear shock settings from full stiff to medium. The
toe settings are zero front and back, and I'm running 275 lb/in front
springs and 450 lb/in rears.

2nd question: Is there a good way to reduce wheel hop on acceleration? I
launch at a high enough rpm to keep the engine from bogging, but I get wheel
hop through much of first gear. I am running a Quaife limited slip
differential.

3rd question: What is the best oil to use in Honda transmissions? I'm
rebuilding mine thanks to the evil wheel hop that tends to destroy the
mainshaft bearings. I was using Redline MTL, which improved the shifts when
I put it in. Honda recommends 10W40 motor oil. Are synthetics worse for this
application?

Thanks,
-Brian Meyer
'90 CRX si - CSP