Re: Mr. Video??????????????

To: Hottvr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Mr. Video??????????????
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:54:07 -0400
At 07:26 PM 10/25/1999 EDT, you wrote:
>I called Mr. Video today and found out that the tapes of our runs at the
Nats
>can't
>be edited. It seems that they used something called "Mac-o-Vision" when they
>recorded. So somewhere on the two tapes (roughly 3 hours worth) are my three
>runs. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Anybody have any ideas about getting around this problem? I wanted to make a
>short tape of all the people who ran in CM for our Regions banquet this fall.

Mike,

Macrovision, according to a technical article I just happened to have read,
is specifically designed to prevent copying. It inserts a signal that
doesn't interfer with normal TV operation but does interfer with the input
circuitry of VHS recorders.

Did you happen to ask the Mr. Video folks whether they would be willing to
create a special version for you given the car numbers you are interested
in? Seems to me that they might be willing, for some $$$ of course, to do
this to make custom videos which include selected cars from all the classes
that the buyer selects. The region's members might be inclined to buy
custom tapes of "their" region's runs! The bigger regions could probably
make the economics work for both Mr. Video and the region's members.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford