Re: NMC: Shipping Stuff?

To: porterb@mediaone.net, miatapower@miatapower.net, nersolo@ner.org,
Subject: Re: NMC: Shipping Stuff?
From: "rich burnley" <richburnley@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:13:48 EDT

>From: "Brian Porter" <porterb@mediaone.net>
>To: "Miata Power List" <miatapower@miatapower.net>,        "NERSolo List"
><nersolo@ner.org>,        "Team. Net List" <autox@autox.team.net>
>Subject: NMC: Shipping Stuff?
>Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:48:38 -0400
>
>I'm looking for some advice..
>
>What would one expect to pay to ship a motor/tranny (Miata 4cyl) across the
>US (residence to residence)
>
>Any recommendations on companies, methods, packaging e.t.c.? I've shipped
>alot of stuff but nothing this large..
>
>TIA..
>
>-Brian

Hi Brian

I work for one of the 'big three' nationwide trucking companies,
Consolidated Freightways.  Go to our web site at cf.com.  You should be able
to getall the info you need and even set up the pick up.

After working in the industry for 25 years here are a few things that I
think you should do before shipping to protect your 'stuff'.

1. Go to a mazda dealer and see if you can get a shipping container from
them. They do reuse them on warranty things but they should have something.
If not go to aa appliance store and get an old stove box.  Cut it down to
fit your items.

2. Wrap the engine and trans in a plastic sheet, like mositure barrier that
you can get at Home Depot.  Now stuff the carton full.  Don't leave any air
spaces that can crush down.  Got to a U-Haul and get some foam peanuts.

3. Seal the boxes well with a nylon filament tape.  Don't use masking tape
or clear plastic.  They have zero strength.

4.  Clearly mark the ship to and ship from address on the boxes.  You'd be
surprised at how many people ship stuff with no names on it.  My favorite
line to them is 'would you put a $100 bill in a blank envelope and just drop
in a mail box and expect it to get to your kid in college?'

If you have any problems or further questions feel free to contact me.

Rich Burnley
Clifton Park, NY
C5 Corvette