re: Beetle Again

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Beetle Again
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:45:50 -0700
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>

> Sorry if this was visited before, but where is the New Beetle 1.8
Turbo
> classed for next year?  Thanks!

SCCA Tech Bulletin July '99:  "The following new car classifications
are effective immediately:

"VW New Beetle 1.8 turbo    GS, DSP"

Having driven a NB 1.8T in an autocross.  I do not think it is
appropriately classed in GS.  The car, though more powerful and better
handling than a non-turbo version of VW's 'A4' chassis
[Golf/Jetta/NB], is hampered by its bulky dimensions.  The
characteristics are more in line with an E-Stock vehicle.  If the Audi
A4 1.8T and TT [fwd] is classed in G-stock, then the NB 1.8T is toast
and there's no point even considering this for a G-Stock contender.

The data generated from Car and Driver's [June 99] comparison test of
the 99 Civic Si {ES] and the NB 1.8T should be sufficient evidence
that the two vehicles are similar enough to warrant a reclassification
of the Beetle.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)