Re: Virus from a posting?

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Virus from a posting?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:07:43 -0600
Scott Meyers wrote:

> I thought that a virus was only transmitted through an ATTACHMENT
> opened from email, that just the email message would not transfer a
> virus.

That's what I thought. At least I thought that you can only execute it
by opening it from an attachment.  Just getting the file itself seems to
happen without an attachment.  I know enough to immediately deal with
any attachment that has that well known name.  Problem is, I  never saw
it, nor do I receive many attachments.  I just did a search, and there
it was stuck in a directory that I owuld not expect since I hadn't
accessed it for quite some time.  I don't know much about this stuff,
but I am glad I didn't spread it around.