Re: Beetle Again

To: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Beetle Again
From: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:49:28 -0500
Paul Czarnecki wrote:

> At 11:18 AM -0500 10/30/1999, Jeff Cashmore wrote:
> >Solo I and II Technical Bulletins  (From the July, 1999 issue)
> >
> >The following new car classifications are effective immediately:
> >     Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT         ES
> >

> Does anyone care to comment on this (AB?)?  I own one of these things
> and I barely compete in it, but my impression of it is a heavy softly
> spring car.  165hp and AWD is pretty good for HS, but 3100 lbs is
> pretty bad.

Paul,

A guy named Richard West campaigned a 2.5GT Wagon here in the
mid-atlantic states very successfully for the past couple years. He
trounced all the local HS competition (including me) with it. I was
usually happy if I could get within one or two seconds of his times.

He had GAB shocks and BFG's, and he's a really good driver to boot. The
shocks really helped out the turning response, and the AWD made him just
unbeatable on most surfaces. I don't recall if he ever took it to
nationals, but it would have been interesting to see how he did if he
had. The car was set up very well. Even though the car was classed in HS,
he usually beat the ES folks with it at local events.

I don't know how the wagon compares to the sedan in terms of weight or
frame stiffness.

He's driving an Impreza 2.5GT now. He was at nationals this year in the
new car, but I don't think he drove his best out there. Now the local GS
crowd has to contend with him. At least until he decides to do Street
Touring.
--
John Crooke
HS Honda Accord