Re: Superspeedways (not autocross)

To: "Jim Carr" <jac@scri.fsu.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superspeedways (not autocross)
From: "kart38" <kart38@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:24:05 -0600
What I meant with bad luck was the car flipping over.  Not the fact that
there was no sand trap (?!) in the infield.  In my opinion gravel would have
insured his car flipped.  Gravel works great.....as long as you aren't going
over say 100mph.  After that the car just skips like a rock on a pond.  If
you saw Shumacher's accident at Silverstone you know what I am talking
about.  I think the best thing to do is pave everything between the walls.
Asphalt will slow the car down quicker than grass or gravel and has less
risk of roling the car over.  As far as making tracks safer I agree with an
energy absorbing barrier for infield walls (like Indy has in turn 4).  My
example with karting was not to point out the serious nature of design flaws
but that you don't have to be going fast to be killed in a racing car.  Also
the catch fence wasn't meant to be hit by a 60mph flying object.  It was
designed to be hit by a 60mph object on the ground.  He had actually flown
over some rows of haybails.  It was an accident that couldn't be forseen,
just too odd.  The speed is irrelivant (to a point and I think everyone
knows what I mean).  Later.

Jason