Kumho "EGOD" ?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kumho "EGOD" ?
From: Dennis Wynne <autox@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 09:29:59 -0600
   I ordered 4 Kumho V700 Victoracer tires for my Miata from the TireRack(I
had been running Toyo Proxes).  When I received my tires and went to get
them mounted and balanced, I noticed I had 3 lefts and 1 right.  I called
TireRack and they said that was OK - it did not matter (it seems that it
DID at one time, but no longer).  Anyway, I had the tires mounted and
balanced on my spare allow rims.

   After 9 events (average of 6 runs each) I now have a "groove" / split
ACROSS the tire (from sidewall to sidewall) on ONE tire.  The "funny" thing
is that this occurred ONLY only the "mis-directed" tire.  This was on the
right rear but the tire was labeled "left".

   It looks like a manufacturing defect, or perhaps a TireRack mistake (or
mine) for running a tire marked "left" on the right side of the car.  I
really don't want to pay for one new tire - and I wonder how one new tire
would effect the "balance" of the car.  I for sure do not want to buy TWO more.

   Is this a common problem ?  Should I contact TireRack / KUT / Kumho
about getting a replacement ?  Is it safe to run on it like it is ?

   Thanks!
   Dennis
   TRSCCA