Kumho/BFG/Yoko etc.

To: "'AutoX'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kumho/BFG/Yoko etc.
From: "Tharpe, Joe" <JoeT@ryersoncoil.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:10:39 -0600
I am running a 99 Civic SI in ES.  I used the BFG G-Force T/A's 205/50/15 on
the stock 6"  wide rims.  Talking to a few folks running similar cars they
are going with Kumo's next year.  Here is my question, With a front driver,
2600 lbs car with weight dist 60F/40R, what would be the best bet for a race
tire?  I really liked the BFG's but sometimes you cant argue with price.
How much do you give up on performance?  I plan to go to McKamey autocross
school next April and then at least 1 regional and attend nationals next
year. I have heard both good and bad with BFG, Kumo, Hoosier, and Yoko's.
Please share your experience / opinions / knowledge regarding the next
generation of tires.

I have heard both Hoosier and Komo are coming out with new tread compounds
next year.  Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Joe T