Re: Oil on tires

To: cblome@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Oil on tires
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:05:41 -0600
I'd have thought somewhat opposite. since rubber is a petroleum product,
the oil would cause the rubber to degrade and weaken.  much is the same
problem when oil leaks onto rubber suspension bushings.  dunno about the
coolant but I'd guess the ethylene glycol doesn't react with rubber since
hoses are all rubber too.

strangely enough, back when I was working on Space Shuttle tires we had
an incident where some hydraulic fluid dripped on a main landing gear
tire but a test and analysis concluded that although the hydraulic fluid
was caustic to skin, it would evaporte out and have no effect on the
tire.

Dave Yeung
Houston Region