Two hour work shifts (was: Why not "pro" cone chasers?)

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Two hour work shifts (was: Why not "pro" cone chasers?)
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 17:52:26 -0500
I realize that this is an old thread, that I'm way behind.  Just got
back from my honeymoon and I'm catching up.

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> Now I've heard from other people (not these guys) the expressed
> opinion that "autocross sucks because they make you stand around in
> the sun for two hours chasing cones and it eats your whole day to get
> 2 min of seat time".

IMHO, work shifts should never be two hours.  If they are, then perhaps
it's time for your club to reconsider its worker system.

If you've got 200 competitors making four runs each, starting a car
every thirty seconds, that's 400 minutes worth of running time.

Now, suppose you need, say, 20 workers at a time.  That's three at
each of four course stations, plus eight more in T&S, registration,
gate, or whatever.

20 workers at a time out of 200 competitors means everyone should work
10% of the time, or 40 minutes.  Add in a little for worker changeover
time, reruns, some competitors who don't work (or work all day, or are
otherwise out of the usual worker rotation) and you're still
comfortably under an hour.

Do the math for your club's numbers.  If your shifts are too long, why
is that?  Too many workers out there at a time?  Or just because
nobody's ever thought about it before?

Mark