Re: Was, It just doesn't matter, Now Phonics and the Nats

To: Hottvr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Was, It just doesn't matter, Now Phonics and the Nats
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:13:06 -0600
Hottvr@aol.com wrote:

> This brings me to a serious subject for a change.  There should be a line on
> the Nationals entry form for a "Phonic" spelling of difficult names like
> mine. This would help the announcer and staff and make things much easier at
> the Championship.

Not a bad idea, Mike!  Works for a German name like mine, too.  It's
LEE-ber-mun.  (That's why I use the name *John Lee* when I'm on the
air!)

If anybody's ever taken a Dale Carnegie course, one of the golden
rules is something like this:  "Remember that, to a person, his or her
name is the most beautiful sound in any language."  Even though I took
the course 21 years ago, that's a tenet that I try to remember every
day - especially since I'm a broadcast journalist (read that: radio
news guy) by trade and have to deal with peoples' names all the time.

> I don't mind being 23rd out of 38 at the Nats. But it would be nice to have
> your name said right.

Hey!  It's a TLS thing!!  At least they didn't call you Bull Terrier
like the Nutscrape spell-checker tries to do every time I send you a
message!!!

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman