Scoring Scheme

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scoring Scheme
From: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:29:42 -0600
Alan Pozner writes:

> Unfortunately trying to remedy the situation by taking Randy's suggestion
> leads to more problems. What happens to the consistent performer who
places
> second on both days? He is punished by receiving a 3rd place trophy!!!

Blankenship Writes
>I answer this by saying that this outcome is possible under the current
>scheme, so the proposed scheme is no worse at least some of the time.
>A weighted points system might sort things out better, but I haven't
thought
>about that long enough to say if I like that or not.

What about the numerous times that Nationals have been won by someone that
did not have the fastest time either day?  (one example...DM in 97
O'Donnell fast on day one, Bernard fast on day two....champion Ellerby,
good on both days but not quite fastest either day)
I like it that way it is.  If someone can't go both days they know they
won't win, but if they were fastest on the day they were there and can't
make the trip home knowing they did well because of the lack of a $12
trophy they have bigger issues.