Re: Region Classes

To: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: Region Classes
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:42:44 -0700
washburn wrote:

> John Mahoney wrote:
> >
> > I really enjoy watching the older cars compete myself...<snip> ..I know I
>want no more classes
> > myself but autocross events are the safest auto competition sport there is
> > and maybe just maybe some of the real classics would come out of hiding to
> > compete.  Better than just rusting away in some rich investors garage.  Yes
> > this may not be the exact story of this thread but it is my two cents of a
> > positive idea, I hope I didn't bore anyone.
> > John
>
> Good news John, you can do this!  If not already involved in your local
> region activities, get involved and suggest it for your region.  Offer
> to head up the program, and maybe run an event.  Many regions have their
> own specialty classes, and they are hugely sucessful.  Get those old
> timers out there, you do not need the blessing of anyone but you folks
> who make it happen in your area.  I think it's a great idea!

Suggestion - When doing this, it is best to carefully designate what will
qualify for this new
class so that it does not deplete *existing* classes. It would be done well if
it brings out those
who would not otherwise attend or have stopped coming.

We are finding here (Phoenix) that the Novice, Street Tire, Sportsman and Pax
special classes draw
about 66% to 70% of the total entries, leaving just 1/3 (about 36 cars) for the
26 or 27 SCCA Open
classes (which then creates much smaller class groups there). We average about
110 cars per event.

There would be particulars unique to each individual area - just be careful how
you do it.

Scott Meyers