re : Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

To: ronbauer@aa.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re : Durango vs. Grand Cherokee
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:34:06 EST
"Ron Bauer" <ronbauer@aa.net> wrote :

> I'm looking for real world experience of towing with either a Dodge Durango
> or a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I'm most likely interested in the 5.9 in both
> vehicles with the 3.92 rear axle in the Durango.  Obviously the Grand
> Cherokee was only available in '98 with the 5.9.

I have a '93 Jeep v8 and am thinking of getting a '98 Durango, both
with the 5.2. The 5.2 in the Jeep is plenty of engine, the new
Jeeps' OHV engines have more power but I think less torque at
towing speeds in overdrive. The Jeep 5.9 Limited are available
used but are still very expensive. They have every option in the book.

My Jeep is fine for towing 3000 lbs long distances, though the
rear could use helper springs. It gets 15MPG towing at 70.
I don't have the towing package but put on low profile 245/60/15 tires
to help gearing a bit. Bilstein shocks make it ride like a big Benz
for only $200.

The best thing about the Jeep vs other tow vehicles is the 95% of the
time you are NOT towing you don't have to captain an ugly
land yacht. Also a Jeep is great in the winter and awesome in real off
road use (the new Grand Cherokee is even better).

I guess the Durango would be better for towing as it has
a longer wheelbase, better frame, and weighs more. Has anyone
compared the two? My sister has one she may be trading in,
I can save a lot in sales tax buying from a family member
in CT (used vehicle sales tax sucks, keeps me in my cars
for a long time). Even with more antiquated suspension, the
Durango rides pretty well on the road.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing pages

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com